Tuesday, July 24, 2007

iPhone Estimate: iWasRight

Earlier today, AT & T reported the number of iPhone activations for the first weekend. From Yahoo:

"The nation's largest provider of broadband Internet and land and wireless phone services said Tuesday that 146,000 subscribers activated new iPhones in the first 30 hours of sales as the quarter closed"

Sales estimates ranged as low as 100,000 units and up to 750,000 units. Here's what I said way back on June 25th:

"I think the iPhone will sell closer to 150,000 units over the first two days. The longer-term sales expectations should be easier to meet as prices go down and as people's wireless contracts end."

My estimate of first weekend iPhone sales was within three percent of the actual activation total. After taking all of the factors into account (phone price, only one service provider, high cost of service, etc.), it was hard for me to believe that sales in the first weekend would be much more than 150,000.

Of course predicting demand for a product doesn't necessarily make investors money. What makes investors money is predicting stock prices. I should have rode the wave of hype and enthusiasm until unit sales figures were published, instead of following my gut feeling that the stock is overvalued. Bulls will be ostriches until hard sales figures are known. Now that the numbers are in, the price should fall, creating a possible buy opportunity. We shall see

I stand by my long-term sales expectations for the iPhone.

************************************************************
Update 07/25/07 5:25 PM: I realize that there were only 146,000 activations in the first two days. But I find it hard to believe that nearly half of the supposed 270,000 units were unable to or failed to be activated within the same time frame. Had I purchased an iPhone, the first place I would have gone is home to activate it. It serves no purpose if it's not activated. I guess the same confusion over company expectations for the device have carried over to reporting actual sales numbers.

No comments: