Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Hank Paulson: Don't Single Out an Industry!

Henry Paulson came out today to criticize congress' attempt to impose working tax rates on hedge fund investors. I agree with his view that we shouldn't single out an industry for imposing a tax rate:

"'I want to avoid responding to the headline of the moment, singling out an industry,' Paulson said. 'I don't believe it makes sense to put in a special provision aimed at one industry today.'"

What industry would that be? The hedge fund industry? And what industry do they engage in? Let me explain the problem I have. Hedge fund managers are managing other people's money. A guide for determining the tax rate:

(1) If you're managing your own money, then you should be taxed at fifteen percent.
(2) If you're managing somebody else's money, then you should be taxed at thirty-five percent because you're essentially acting as a money manager.

No comments: